November 22, 2014
Saturday, November 22, 2014
The waiting continues as we are being told that the grand jury did not reach a decision yesterday regarding whether they should indict Darren Wilson.
I won’t bother to speculate about what is going on because I have already decided that the process is illegitimate.
Meanwhile, most of you have been following Shaun King’s fine work analyzing the Michael Brown shooting. Here is his latest, Video: Police lied. Mike Brown was killed 148 feet away from Darren Wilson’s SUV.
FYI: Here is an excerpt from a book by George Lakoff titled, The Strict Father Is at the Core of Conservative Ideology and Values.
For a pleasant change of pace, check out this article by Paul Bibeau titled, Should We Defund The Pentagon And Give That Money To Canadian Musicians?
Best wishes to all,
Fred and Crane
August 27, 2014
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
We have pressing errands to run today and will be in and out.
I have three sobering articles for you all to read to begin the discussion.
The first article is from Mother Jones by Mark Follman. The title: Michael Brown’s Mom Laid Flowers Where He Was Shot—and Police Crushed Them.
The second article is from the New York Times written by Campbell Robertson and Joseph Goldstein. The title: In Aftermath of Missouri Protests, Skepticism About the Prospects for Change
The third article is from Firedoglake written by Massacio. The title is: Studies Confirm Huge Wealth Loss of Middle Class.
See you in the thread.
July 21, 2014
Monday, July 21, 2014
Welcome to the Monday Evening Open Discussion where off topic is on topic.
Jury selection started today in the Renisha McBride porch-shooting case with the judge conducting voir dire, instead of the attorneys.
No live television or live-stream coverage.
Jury selection resumes tomorrow at 9 am EDT.
The twitter feed is #TheodoreWafer
The burglaries, death threats and hacker attacks of last week appear to have stopped since Crane contacted the FBI. Unfortunately, Crane’s computer took a hit and had to go to the hospital.
We should sell tee shirts that say, Start a Blog Get Murdered
What’s on your mind?
This is our 1147th post.
If you appreciate what we do, please make a donation to enable us to keep the lights on.
July 13, 2014
Sunday, July 13, 2014
Welcome to Sunday afternoon.
To get you started, here’s Steve Kimock and Friends playing Shotgun House at Sweetwater.
Got some music you would like to share?
July 12, 2014
Saturday, July 12, 2014
I am very upset about the continuing slaughter of Palestinian women and children in Gaza. More than 150 people are dead and now Israel is warning people who live in the north Gaza Strip to leave because they apparently intend to reduce it to rubble.
There isn’t anywhere for them to go.
This is not self-defense.
This is genocide and it has to stop.
Israel’s response far exceeds the amount of force that is reasonably necessary to defend itself.
I realize Hamas continues to fire missiles blindly into Israel, but with only one exception, they have not caused any injuries.
Obviously no one in the ME gives a damn about what I think. Nevertheless, I feel compelled to add my voice to the growing scream of protest.
The pool is open. Let us know what you think.
July 9, 2014
Wednesday, July 9, 2014
Welcome to the Wednesday Evening Open Thread Discussion where off topic is on topic.
We have three articles for you today:
(1) Bioprospecting in Panama
(2) Texas Republican Party Belongs on Mars
(3) Freedom Industries fined $11,000 for West Virginia chemical spill that poisoned drinking water for 300,000 people
Meanwhile, the insanity continues as Israel is on a roll killing innocent Palestinian women and children along with a few members of Hamas in retaliation for rockets fired into Israel.
Do you think Pistorius will be acquitted or convicted?
The pool is open.
What’s on your mind in these troubling and difficult times?
This is our 1124th post. If you appreciate what we do, please toss some money into the hat. We can use it.
July 8, 2014
Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Good evening and welcome to Open Thread Tuesday Evening where off topic is on topic.
I have several topics to get y’all started, or start your own.
(1) Terrence McCoy of the Washington Post has an article today regarding the role of deforestation in the spread of Ebola.
(2) Boston.com has an article on the crazy election in Afghanistan where, despite a separation of 1 million votes, both candidates are claiming victory. Loser Abdullah Abdullah accuses his Pashtun opponent, Ashraf Ghani, of monumental ballot stuffing and apparently intends to form his own government. Looks like another civil war is brewing. Guess that means we will need more advisors just like in Iraq. Yikes.
(3) Discovery.com has an article today about the discovery of an Iron Age Temple (2,500 years old) in present day Kurdistan in NE Iraq.
(4) The New York Times Magazine has an interesting article about economics professor David Brat, who upended House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in the Republican primary in Virginia. He’s a believer that Christian virtue is all that is necessary to tame the lust for greed that is both the motive and the bane for capitalism. Brat calls it Hand of God economics. I call it bullshit.
(5) The defense rested today in the Pistorius case. What say you: guilty of murder, negligent homicide, or not guilty? Keep in mind that the two assessors can overrule Judge Masipa if they disagree with her decision. I wrote about it here.
(6) What do you think of the Republican civil war in Mississippi? Maybe, we’ll have to send in some military advisors there too.
The pool is open. No running on the deck or splashing the lifeguard.
This is our 1120th post. Please make a donation, if you like what we do.