Saturday, December 14, 2013
In the this-shouldn’t-be-happening category, we have this story out of South Africa reported by Voice of America.
Retired South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu says he was not invited to attend a state funeral for his dear friend, fellow Nobel laureate Nelson Mandela.
In a Saturday statement, Tutu said he would have loved to attend the service and say a “final farewell” to someone he “loved and treasured.”
However, he said it would have been “disrespectful” to “gatecrash” the funeral. He added, there was “no way on earth” he would have missed the ceremony if he or his office had been informed that he was welcomed to attend.
The apparent omission of an invitation has been seen by some as a snub towards the religious leader, who has been an outspoken critic of the ruling African National Congress. However, the government denies Tutu was snubbed.
If everyone who has not contributed a donation, were to donate $5, we could end this fund drive today.