Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Good evening and welcome to Open Thread Tuesday Evening where off topic is on topic.
I have several topics to get y’all started, or start your own.
(1) Terrence McCoy of the Washington Post has an article today regarding the role of deforestation in the spread of Ebola.
(2) Boston.com has an article on the crazy election in Afghanistan where, despite a separation of 1 million votes, both candidates are claiming victory. Loser Abdullah Abdullah accuses his Pashtun opponent, Ashraf Ghani, of monumental ballot stuffing and apparently intends to form his own government. Looks like another civil war is brewing. Guess that means we will need more advisors just like in Iraq. Yikes.
(3) Discovery.com has an article today about the discovery of an Iron Age Temple (2,500 years old) in present day Kurdistan in NE Iraq.
(4) The New York Times Magazine has an interesting article about economics professor David Brat, who upended House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in the Republican primary in Virginia. He’s a believer that Christian virtue is all that is necessary to tame the lust for greed that is both the motive and the bane for capitalism. Brat calls it Hand of God economics. I call it bullshit.
(5) The defense rested today in the Pistorius case. What say you: guilty of murder, negligent homicide, or not guilty? Keep in mind that the two assessors can overrule Judge Masipa if they disagree with her decision. I wrote about it here.
(6) What do you think of the Republican civil war in Mississippi? Maybe, we’ll have to send in some military advisors there too.
The pool is open. No running on the deck or splashing the lifeguard.
This is our 1120th post. Please make a donation, if you like what we do.